As a lot of you still don’t know too much about me I thought I would do this mental health tag so you can find out a little but about me and my mental health.
1. What is your Mental Health Issue?
I suffer with anxiety, depression and PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder).
2. Do you have medication and/or therapy?
I have medication and therapy, so I am a number of different types of medication and go to see the doctor every 6 weeks and the psychologist every 3 months.
3. What therapy/medication have you tried and has any worked for you?
I have had a lot of different things that have worked and which haven’t.
– Counselling didn’t work
– I attended a resilience hub which worked well for me, this was full time for a number of weeks.
I have tried a number of different medications. (I can do a post about this at a later date.)
4. How long have you had problems for?
My problems have come from a trauma which I had when I was 8 years old. I have suffered for about 10+ years.
5. Does your family/friends know?
Yes, they are very supportive.
6. Does this effect your work and daily living?
Yes, it does for sure! The littlest of things make me anxious and as a result it can stop me doing the things which I love.
7. What makes you feel calm?
– Having those around me I love, such as friends and family.
– Speaking to those I care about.
– Medication can help me to calm down sometimes.
– Mindfullness – anything from knitting, colouring or just meditation.
– Writing my feelings down/blogging.
8. What do you do in a crisis?
This is a hard one for me to answer as when I have gotten into a crisis I don’t really speak to anyone and I can go down hill very quickly. As a result I have ended up in hospital a few times. Now I have come along away I would like to think I would reach out to those around me and seek medical help.
9. What advice would you give others suffering?
Don’t let mental health define you! Mental health is an illness and it is part of you but it doesn’t have to be who you are. I think it is really important to seek the right help and speaking to those around you makes such a difference.
10. What makes you smile?
My Dad, my family in general, seeing the support from fellow mental health sufferers.
11. Describe your mental health issue in 5 words.
Draining, painful, overwhelming, crippling and frustrating.
12. Insert a picture to make people smile.